You may have noticed some Instagram accounts have images that are split on their grid. This direction and style creates an artistic and unique look to your overall feed and changes things up regarding content. It’s important to make sure every image looks good individually when splitting because people will see each single image while scrolling through their feed. Luckily, Planoly has made this feature a breeze by allowing users to split images when uploading content onto the App from your phone. Users have the option of splitting an image into two, three, four, six or nine separate tiles.
One of our favorite examples of image splitting done right is @Anderson._Paak. His grid style definitely takes commitment and talent, but we’re super inspired by his content. This feature is also popular with several fashion brands, artists, chefs, and more. It’s a great way to showcase your work in an eye-catching way that leaves your followers curious and wanting more. Below, we break down how to use our Splitter Feature, pro tips on how to split your grid beautifully, and how brands are succeeding at this unique style of storytelling.
How to Use the Planoly App Splitter Tool
- Choose an image to upload onto Planoly App on your phone. (This tool is not yet available on our web dashboard.)
- Once you’ve selected an image and BEFORE you tap upload, you’ll see a grey square grid (SPLIT ICON) on the bottom right corner of the image (the icon to the left of the multi-post icon). Tap on SPLIT ICON to see six different splitting options.
- Before committing to a split, we recommend experimenting with the different options. Make sure your image is high quality in resolution so it doesn’t get pixelated after the split. You can also move the image around slightly before splitting in order to get each tile perfect.
- Once you find your perfect split, tap the “SPLIT” button on the top right corner.
- Tap UPLOAD, and your split images will be moved to your Planoly grid where you can plan and schedule them out!
Splitting Pro Tips
- Tip 1: In order to receive the best engagement, make sure each individual image within the split looks fab on its own.
- Tip 2: Make one tile within your split a video or GIF to keep it interesting and engaging.
- Tip 3: Add a quote to one of the tiles if it is bare or boring. If using quotes, make sure it resonates with your brand and speaks to your audience.
How the Pros Are Splitting It Right
Lululemon mixes up their active lifestyle focused grid by adding split photos of nature scenes. They also add quotes on top of the images that are in line with their brand story.
Anderson Paak has one of the most unique IG’s out there, being that his entire grid is made up of split images. It’s really impressive because his entire grid flows and connects all the way through. He also incorporates videos, multi-photos, and more.
Herschel Supply is very tasteful and always on point with their branding. They use the splitter tool when unveiling new products or collections.
Dion Lee is very clever and thoughtful when it comes to using the splitter. They always keep it to two split images, which helps them maintain their flow but also mix up the content in an interesting way. They never fail to experiment and have fun with their Instagram as well!